Friday 27 July 2012

My Fall Television Schedule

So today ABC released the premiere dates for its fall schedule this year. Now I finally have an idea of what my purposed television schedule will look like, and I am simultaneously both very excited and horrified. Excited that some of my favourite shows are returning (like Boardwalk Empire and 30 Rock) and that I finally get to check out some of my most anticipated new shows that I hope will become my favourites (like Nashville and Revolution). Horrified because I don't think I've ever tried to watch so much television in my life. I've only just gotten into downloading and this is my first 'season' in which I'll actively try and keep up with shows that are airing in the US instead of waiting for them to air here in Australia. Further horrified because, by looking at my proposed fall television schedule I already know several of these shows are going to fall by the wayside and that I'll have to watch them at a later date, or god forbid, drop them entirely off my 'to watch' list. My difficulties are different to those of most in that it's not about how much program are on at once, or how much space I have on my DVR, more so what will I have time to download and watch every week. Anyway, here's what my schedule looks like at the moment.


MONDAY:

Timeslot:                      Television Program                  Network          Premiere Date:
8.00pm - 8.30pm:           How I Met Your Mother           (CBS)               24/ 9
8.30pm - 9.00pm:           Partners (New Show)               (CBS)               24/9
10.00pm - 11.00pm        Revolution (New Show)           (NBC)              17/9

Mondays fairly easy. I already know I probably won't watch Partners, but it's the only new comedy that I think I might enjoy, so I'll at least try and check it out. If I lived in America I would just keep watching after How I Met Your Mother, but because I have to download it and can see myself not bothering. I only recently started watching How I Met Your Mother, and again, I'm not so worried about missing comedies, so I'm happy to wait until this airs in Australia rather than downloading it. I'm definitely watching Revolution though, one of my most anticipated new shows.


TUESDAY:

Timeslot:                      Television Program                  Network          Premiere Date:
9.00pm - 9.30pm:           Happy Endings                          (ABC)              23/10
9.00pm - 9.30pm:           New Girl                                      (Fox)                25/9

Tuesday looks to be the easiest night of the week for me. I definitely watching Happy Endings, and while I like New Girl, I'm happy for that to wait and air here in Australia. That being said, I still have plans to catch up on Don't Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23, and if I like that, I'll add it to the list. Similarly, I've always wanted to get into Private Practice, and with this season likely to be it's last I might consider checking it out. Furthermore, there's heaps on new comedies premiering on Tuesday nights, six if I count correctly, and since I haven't been hooked by any comedies in recent times if I here consistently good reviews about any of these I might start watching.

WEDNESDAY:

Timeslot                        Television Program                  Network          Premiere Date
9.00pm - 10.00pm:          Supernatural                             (CW)                3/10
10.00pm - 11.00pm:        Nashville (New Show)             (ABC)              10/10

Wednesday is a fairly easy night, too. I'm definitely watching Nashville, and I'm fairly certain I'll keep up to date with Supernatural providing I don't become overloaded with other stuff to watch. Arrow is getting quite a lot of hype recently though, and I'm afraid I'm going to have to add that to my list. And don't judge me, but I'm also quite curious to see how The Neighbors will turn out.

THURSDAY:

Timeslot                       Television Program                   Network          Premiere Date
8.00pm - 8.30pm:          30 Rock                                        (NBC)               4/10 
8.00pm - 8.30pm:          The Big Bang Theory                 (CBS)                27/ 9
8.00pm - 9.00pm:          Last Resort (New Show)            (ABC)               27/9
8.00pm - 9.00pm:          The Vampire Diaries                  (CW)                11/10

Here's where things start to get interesting. Not only have I got four shows on one night, they're all on at the same time (sometimes I am lucky to live in Australia). I'm definitely watching 30 Rock for it's final season, and Last Resort is one of my most anticipated new shows. I'd like to watch The Vampire Diaries and The Big Bang Theory too, but if it all gets to much, I'll wait until I have some more time for The Vampire Diaries, and just wait for The Big Bang Theory to air in Australia. Unfortunately, Thursday is also the day of shows I've been wanting to watch for a while but haven't gotten around to. I'm just about to finish Scandal, and I had planned to catch up on Person of Interest. Similarly to its spin-off Private Practice, I've been meaning to watch Grey's Anatomy too. I don't think I'll get around to any of these though.

FRIDAY:

Timeslot                       Television Program                    Network          Premiere Date
9.00pm - 10.00pm:         Fringe                                          (Fox)                  28/9

Friday seems easy enough, but I'm fairly certain that I'll also be adding either Nikita or Grimm, or both, to this list considering I have their entire first seasons taking up space on my DVR, so they desperately need watching.

SATURDAY:

Maybe I could go outside and have a life or something? I dunno, it better be full of interesting characters and past-paced plots.

SUNDAY:

Timeslot                      Television Program                        Network         Premiere Date
9.00pm - 10.00pm:        Boardwalk Empire                         (HBO)             16/9
9.00pm - 10.00pm:        Dexter                                               (Showtime)     30/9
9.00pm - 10.00pm:        Revenge                                            (ABC)             30/9
9.00pm - 10.00pm:        The Walking Dead                         (AMC)            14/10
10.00pm - 11.00pm:      666 Park Avenue (New Show)     (ABC)             30/9
10.00pm - 11.00pm:      Homeland                                        (Showtime)     30/9

Where to begin on what most people consider to be the best night of TV in recent years? Reading through the days I could understand why some viewers may have thought I was overreacting with the amount of television I have to watch, but as you can see, Sunday is the major problem. Unlike other days where I've considered watching a show later or dropping it, that's not really an option here. Cable shows take even longer to reach Australian shores than network ones, and all of these are critically acclaimed and are heavily discussed online, so if I watch them later, chance are I would have been spoiled by the time I got to them. Boardwalk Empire, Dexter and The Walking Dead are a must. I've got friends that watch the, and they're discussed on much online that I can't afford to miss them. I enjoy Homeland, but I'm happy to watch that later. As for Revenge, if it gets to the point where I have to drop it I will, and the verdict's out on 666 Park Avenue until I've actually seen a couple of episode. Furthermore, Sunday nights has The Good Wife and Once Upon A Time, another two popular and well-received shows that I've been desperate to catch up on and just haven't found the time. And don't get me started on Fox's animation block. I enjoy The Simpsons, Family Guy, and American Dad, but for the sack of my sanity I'm going to have to pass.

For a full list of the main television networks schedule check out this Wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_United_States_network_television_schedule

For a full list of all the main television networks premiere dates check you should check out tv.com, and if you haven't already you should make your own fall television schedule lineup here (it's fun and helpful):
http://www.tv.com/features/upfronts-2012/

So there you have it folks. I plan to watch 17 television shows a week (Lord give me strength), at a total of 15 hours. And if you managed to read through everything, there's about another 14 shows waiting in the wings that I would like to watch at some point. It's impossible, I know, so for the time being I'll try to lower it down to the ten shows I will watch this coming season:

Boardwalk Empire
The Walking Dead
Nashville
30 Rock
Happy Endings
Revolution
Last Resort
Dexter
666 Park Avenue
Supernatural

That being said shows like 30 Rock and Fringe only have shortened thirteen episode final seasons, and all the cable shows generally only go for twelve episodes. Obviously the shows don't all start airing at the same time either, the first show starting being Boardwalk Empire (16/9) and the last being Happy Endings (23/10). Plus there's always a high chance that new shows I watch will get cancelled... so maybe once all that happens I'll be able to cram some more hours of TV in, if I'm not brain dead by then.

Give yourself a part on the back if you read through all of this, I very much appreciate you taking the time to do so. So what do you plan to watch this fall? Any painful clashes, or are all your favourite shows on exactly when you want them to be? Let me know, I'd love to here them.

No comments:

Post a Comment